As a Hutchison Arena (Pavilion One) Gate Attendant, you will work alongside the Hutchison Arena Coordinator to ensure that horses and riders safely enter and exit the arena, make sure everyone entering the arena has the proper wristband, keep the arena tidy, and assist in other areas as directed. You may also need to assist with set up for clinics by setting up props and carrying equipment in and out of the Hutchison Arena.
- Please arrive 15 minutes early each day to check in with the Volunteer Coordinator, who is located in the Welcome Center at the front of Pavilion Two. This will allow you a few minutes to ask any questions you may have, receive updates that need to be relayed to you, and arrive on time to your work location to relieve the person working the prior shift.
- After you have checked in, report to the Hutchison Arena Coordinator in Pavilion One for further instructions.
- You will be given a bright colored safety pinny to wear. Pinnies are passed from one shift to another.
- Please do not leave your post until the next scheduled volunteer arrives or without consulting the Hutchison Arena Coordinator. Please dress appropriately for the weather as you may be near an open door during your shift, and wear the required closed-toe shoes.
- Volunteers who work two consecutive shifts (totaling 6+ hours) will be provided with light refreshments. Please check with the Volunteer Coordinator if you are eligible.
- For those interested in purchasing snacks or meals, there is a Food Court located between the Coliseum and Nutrena Arena, as well as food vendors in Exhibition Hall, Coliseum, and front of the Pavilions.
- We recommend that you store personal items in your vehicle, as there are no secured areas to store your valuables (purse, backpack, purchases etc.). A coat & package check is located in the lobby of Exhibition Hall (Hall C) if needed.
- Please be courteous and friendly. We are grateful for the help of our volunteers, and we depend on your good attitude and kind demeanor to make Midwest Horse Fair a success. Please refer any issues to the Hutchison Arena Coordinator
- Please dress appropriately for the weather and wear closed-toe shoes (required)
- Each shift will last 3 hours. In exchange for working three 3-hour shifts throughout the weekend, volunteers can earn a free 3-day wristband (value $45)
- Stay alert at all times and pay attention to your surroundings in case a problem arises
- We politely ask that you limit cell phone usage during your shift so that you may be aware of all that is going on in the arena and entry way
- Listen to the Hutchison Arena Coordinator and act accordingly. Please check with them before departing
- Make sure that everyone entering the Hutchison Arena gate is wearing heeled shoes or appropriate footwear. We ask that you kindly, but resolutely enforce our rule that no flip-flops or open-toe shoes are allowed in the ring
- Ensure that all horse participants have the appropriately colored wristband. No one is allowed to enter the arena without a wristband (except a clinician, and they will have a Midwest Horse Fair name badge). If you cannot see a wristband, ask to see it. If they do not have a wristband, or have the wrong color, do not let them in the arena. Direct them to the Hutchison Arena Coordinator
- Keep the entry area clear during demonstrations. Do not allow participants for the next demo into the entry area until the previous group has left
- Open and close gates. Be willing to help out if problems arise
- Help keep events running on time. Make sure that both the arena and entry area stay tidy
- Additional duties may be assigned as needed
- Please be advised that assigned jobs may change at any time as needed per the discretion of Midwest Horse Fair
For safety & liability reasons, this job is best suited for those who are:
- Comfortable working around horses
- Able-bodied and capable of lifting 40 lbs
- Able to be on their feet for the entire shift
- Able to fully communicate, hear and understand directions clearly, and react quickly